2021 - 2022 Trip To The Southwest

Day 105, La Posa West LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ, Day 54

2011 Trip across the US
2012 Trip across the US
2014 Trip across the US
2015 Trip to Alaska
2015-16 Southwest Trip
2016 New England Trip
2016 - 17 Southwest Trip
2017 - 18 Trip to Pick Up a New Escape 21 Trailer & More
2018 - 19 Trip to Winnipeg & the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta
2019 - 20 Trip to the Southwest
Other Trips



Wednesday, February 2, 2022, La Posa West LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ, Day 54 - 0 Miles, 3,765.5 Miles for the Trip

The windiest day of the trip - 35MPH gusts so far with an average of 25MPH. The "mountains" to the west have disappeared in the dust, in fact, at times, I can't see the class A across the wash from me. They have a large German Shepard that would really like to get out of the wind & dust, but so far pawing at the door hasn't worked. Like many, no attention to the BLM leash rules. Around noon they let him in. I folded down the legs on the portable solar panel so that it is flat on the ground, and took the grill off the table & flipped the table legs up. So far, everything is still next to the trailer, but the table slid off the slippery mat flapping in the breeze. I stuck some of the firewood on the mat to hold it down.

There are Mountains Behind the RV

I feel a bit lonely - the class A that was at the other end of this section left this morning so there is no one left but me. Things are definitely thinning out, but there are still a fair number of RVs parked in the flat area on the north side of the wash. Another sign of fewer RVs - both AT&T & Verizon started out at usable speeds, but by noon they were both barely there with AT&T at 1.3Mbps down & 2.3Mbps up and Verizon at .1Mbps down & .4Mbps up. Could be the dust in the air is slowing things down, or the wind is twisting their microwave dishes out of line, but to be honest, it is possible that Verizon is still limiting my speed. It is suppose to go back to full service on the 2nd, but today isn't over yet. In any case, I'm currently sticking with AT&T.

The plan was to haul the firewood to Dome Rock first, then pack up the trailer and do the same. With the wind, I really don't want to be trying to unpeg & fold my 9' X 12' mat and pack the truck, so unless it tapers off this afternoon, I'm going to wait until tomorrow.

I didn't get any pictures, but watching a hummingbird at the feeder in 30MPH winds is pretty amazing. They manage to sync with the swinging feeder & the wind and get their beak into the holes in the bee guard.

While the wind was predicted to end at 4:00PM, it is still blowing strong - 33MPH peaks & an average of 24MPH. For some reason, no one is outside walking their dogs. It is also a bit chilly in the trailer. While I didn't turn up the thermostat; it is still set for 61°F. It is 60°F at the head of he bed, and here in the back where the sun is shining through the windows & dust it is 65°F so the furnace has not come on. 54°F outside and dropping. There is a freeze warning for tonight; I hope it is for somewhere nearby, not here!

Dinner was definitely cooked inside - Left over ribs, mac & cheese & green beans.

Until Tomorrow -


This page is maintained by: vermilye@oswego.edu
Last Update: February 3, 2022